Friday, October 31, 2008
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Yes, be thankful.
Be thankful that...
1. No little toes or feet were cut in the process.
2. 95% of the polish coated the tile floor...be extra thankful for Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser! The remaining 5% was split between a bathroom rug (and they are meant to be disposable right?) and the bedroom carpet (and, should we ever move, that carpet will have to be replaced anyway!).
3. The broken bottle contained a color that really didn't look good on my toes anyway.
4. Auntie Sara was visiting and was able to whisk the kiddos into the other room and keep them occupied (painting her toes!) while I attacked the mess. And, I must say Auntie Sara's toes looked downright splendid. The more polish the better right? And, who says the color on the toesies of the right foot must match that of the left foot?
5. I looked into Ellie's eyes the minute that bottle shattered. At that moment, I saw it was an accident and, honestly, what does a pink floor matter? Had I not been able to clean up all the polish (or most of it anyway!) would it have really and truly mattered? No. I see the spots of pink polish on the carpet as signs of an eventful and happy childhood in progress.
Monday, October 20, 2008
And, well, I know I wasn't sexy for certain. Sexy is the opposite of dripping sweat; a goofy gait to avoid pain; a big zit on my forehead. So, I guess sexy is out.
But fierce! Yes! I was fierce! When I ponied up at Mile 5 and told myself that the Tiffany necklace at the finish line would be mine, I was fierce! When I decided I would run through the pain in my foot and LOVE those monstrous hills, I was fierce! When I zoned out and focused only on that yellow line in the center of the road, I was fierce! So fierce is in! Fierce stays! I ran like a girl...fierce!
And, I had bunches of fun!
The race kicked off at 7:00am on Sunday. It took a full 13 minutes to cross the start line! My hubs escorted me to my pace corral and stood by me until the crowd began to move forward. He bravely brought a Starbucks sandwich into the gaggle of girls which had one woman sniffing the air. He kept the sandwich low and discreet and waited to eat it until after we all started running. My hubs was swept up for a couple steps but eventually made it to safer ground.
This race was so unlike any I have ever run before. There was the chatter of women the full 13.1 miles. There were random calls of support from runners to other runners. When the road split between the 1/2 marathoners and the full marathoners, I found myself yelling cheers and good luck wishes to the strong women doing a full 26.2 miles. There was a sense of camaraderie. The course was packed and there was definite support from runners of all different levels and ages to other runners of all different levels and ages. It was truly a great experience.
And, yes, I did earn my Tiffany necklace at the finish line! That little baby blue box was grasped tightly in my hand. I have yet to take the necklace off. It has reminded me that I can do anything no matter what obstacles I face...and also that my hubs will always be there right beside me.
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Saturday, October 4, 2008
Thursday, October 2, 2008
- My hubs and I round up the kids each night to say prayers. One by one we tell God what we are thankful for and send up any needs that we have or the needs of others. After her little prayer - which I know God understands verbatim - Miss Ellie says "The End" and claps her hands in delight!
- After two nights of Mitchell barely eating any of his dinner I told him, as I tucked him in at night, that we would be having a favorite of his for dinner the next night...mac and cheese with hot dogs! He bolted upright and said, "That's what I'm talking about!"
- Todd had worked in the office in the morning and when he changed into his grubbies to work on a car he left his dress socks on. When I brought the kids home from school, Ellie honed in on those socks. She ran over pointing to Todd's feet asking, "Wha hoppin?"
- Mitchell was going back and forth between a cowboy and a pirate costume for Halloween this year. I told him he needed to decide because I am not a speedy seamstress. "I know!" he exclaimed. "I will be a storm cloud!" My hubs and I looked at each other and just started laughing. Yep! It's our kid that wants to be the big Cumulonimbus. Thankfully, he has reverted back to cowboy!