Thursday, August 16, 2018

And, They're Off!

We ushered the tribe off to school today. Long, lazy summer days are officially over in my neck of the woods. 

I normally do not get overly emotional on the first day of school. I find myself more excited for what the new school year holds for my kids. But, today! My goodness. When I saw my youngest skip down the road to middle school with her friends my eyes filled with tears. They eeked out of the corners of my eyes before I knew what was happening. My youngest is in 7th grade and my oldest is a freshman. Where did the years go?

What happened the littles we walked to class on the first day? What happened to the days when they not only had backpacks but lunchboxes in hand too? Gone are the 'messy hair, don't care" days. Now, when I look into my kids' faces I can see what they will look like as adults. I see their personalities and character taking form and solidifying. They are quickly becoming bigger birds that will eventually leave the nest. 

But I don't want them to leave.

I want them to stay at home where I can protect them. I want to make sure they eat balanced meals. I want to monitor their choices. I want to be one room over when their hearts are heavy and they need to talk. I want to be a part of their laughter and their joys and their sorrows. I want their lives to exceed my own in every accomplishment and victory. 

Today was the first day I felt time slipping away. It goes too fast. When my kids were in diapers wise parents would say, "They will be asking for the car keys before you know it." I looked at them with weary eyes thinking that day would never come. Now, we let Mitchell practice is driving skills on our street. 

As much as I want to hold them close forever, my job (and privilege) as their mom is to funnel as much love and wisdom into them as I can before they branch out on their own. I will always be here for them, even on days when they are off on their own. And, I will treasure their middle school and high school days. These years too shall pass...and far too quickly. 




No comments: