Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Let them dream big crazy dreams!

Months ago I heard a story about an elementary school that was hosting a career day for students. The students were to dress up as someone would in their dream career. I am familiar with this because my daughter's school had such an event when she was in 1st grade. Ellie went as a "sewer." In her 6-year-old mind, a sewer was not an underground system of pipes carrying vile smelling sewage to a treatment plant.  To her, it was a sew-er. As in a person who sews. Maybe a tailor or a fashion designer. But, try as I might, those titles didn't fit the essence of her chosen career and she went to school as a sewer. She was so excited about her chosen profession so who was I to change her dream.

But, changing dreams is exactly what this one elementary school attempted to do. They sent home a note that informed parents that children should come to school dressed in line with "realistic" careers. That meant no pro ball players, no rockstars, no YouTube stars. The principal said these were unrealistic ambitions.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/whats-on/family-kids-news/school-dream-job-dress-up-14171149

So, wait a minute? This principal determined what was unrealistic for his students? Is it because his or her own ambitions to be an Olympian failed? Was he or she rejected for the space program? I say, "Let kids DREAM!" 

We need to let our children imagine what they can become! If they want to be a sewer - let them go for it! When I was a child, I wanted to be a dolphin trainer. And, I loved believing that's what I would do. When I got to college my ideas on careers had changed but no one ever begrudged my desire to ride on a dolphin's back as it sails through the water. My son wants to play for the NFL. He wants to attend Lousiana State University and study law while playing college ball. After college, he hopes to get drafted. If he doesn't, he will have his degree. I hope he plays for the NFL. I love that his dreams are lofty. Maybe he will change his mind and want to be an astrophysicist or a dog trainer. Whatever he wants to do with his life he should do! And he should be allowed to dream about the future in any way he chooses.

My daughter's dreams sway though she has moved away from sewer. One day she wants to be a famous actress and another she will want to be a teacher. And that is great. For a while, her greatest ambition was to be a barista at Starbucks and the girl doesn't even like coffee. She thought it just looked fun! I let her dream! I didn't tell her should couldn't make a proper living in a barista's salary. Why? Because she is a 'tween! She doesn't care about paychecks nor should she at this age. She should just be allowed to dream.

Does the principal at the school that squashes dreams think that the NBA is full of players that did not dream of playing basketball? Is the space program filled with random people that never imagined being astronauts? Did the surgeon who cut me open just stumble into medical school without imagining what it would be like to save lives? No. We need to let our kids dream. Their dreams likely include making the world a better place by contributing to it in some positive way. 

Let's not stifle tour children's hopes and ambitions. Let's help them believe that anything is possible.

No comments: