Friday, March 7, 2014

Pyramids, and dinosaurs, and strangle lights...oh my!

There are many phenomenons we can't explain as humans. There are aspects of this world we can't wrap our minds around. Crop circles, dinosaurs, the great pyramids, mysterious lights in the sky. As Christians many of us struggle to determine how these wondrous things fit into creation.

In my limited, unscientifically trained mind, I have pondered this. I think the answer is that they don't fit. Our minds are limited. The earth, in my opinion is millions of years old.That doesn't jive with Genesis and the six days it took to create the world...or does it? We know that God has always existed. There was never a time He was not here. That is a difficult concept to fathom. That very notion shows that God works on a very different plane of existence. Six days to the very Creator of the universe may translate to thousands or millions of years. Perhaps some of the first animals He created were dinosaurs. Man was the last thing God created on this earth before He rested. We don't know how long it took in human time to complete both tasks.

As Christians we believe the unseen. I have never seen the face of God. Despite this I believe mightily in Him and His promises and word. Sometimes I wonder if things like crop circles are here to mystify us. We believe in the unseen so maybe from time to time we need to disbelieve the seen. Maybe there are unexplainable things about this world that are here to challenge us and cause us to doubt. Or, maybe they will be easily explained by the mind of an astrophysicist who is not yet born.

As quick as some are to believe in aliens I am not so quick to cast aside my faith. I am sure that some are boggled by the person who believes in a supernatural creator of all. I wonder how one cannot? When I view the intense beauty of Yosemite or the depth and vastness of the ocean my heart floods with a sureness that God does exist. So, no, I don't know how dinosaurs fit into the grand scheme of things. I can't even come up with a theory on how the pyramids were built. And, crop circles blow my mind! But my God blows my mind even more. Every day we face the unbelievable and we accept it...I think it is time to truly believe in our believable God.

No comments: