Friday, December 5, 2008

Brutely Honest

I admire honest people. The friends that love you enough to say, "As a matter of fact, you do look like a hippo in those jeans." Or, "You have a chunk o' chives in your front teeth." I don't consider these comments rude. I think they are helpful. Seriously. Hipponess is bad and chives are gross.

I live with two very honest people. They can't help it. They don't know about white lies. They don't attempt to spare feelings. They tell it like they see it. They are children.

At first, this was an adjustment for me. It took my dear hubs to put it into perspective for me...they are 2 and 4. They are just observing, not trying to be critical.

Here are some comments I have heard in the last few days...

From Ellie...

I was kneeling on the floor getting her dressed and my slacks had that fabric pooch. Ellie patted this and said, "Look Mommy! You are a fatty."

From Mitchell...

While I was mindlessly singing along with the Christmas CD in the car I heard a growl from the backseat followed by, "Momma! Quit making that horrible noise!"

From Ellie...

I came in from doing yard work and was getting undressed for the shower. Ellie walks in and waves her hands hollering, "Shooie! Shooie Mommy! You smell like a poopoo ball."

So that is the bad...but then their honesty forms the sweetest words sometimes...

From Mitchell...

"Mommy, you sure are handsome."

From Ellie...

"I want you Mommy! I loooove you Mommy!"

From Mitchell...

"I have my happiest days with you Mommy. You make my heart happy. I thank you and God for my whole world." (This one I heard at bedtime a couple nights ago and it still makes me tear up.)

So, I say we be like children. Go out and be honest! Shake someone up! Make them smile! Make them laugh! Be a true friend! And do an honest to goodness chive check for your buddies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

word.
muwah, 'Lizzie.