Monday, March 2, 2009

Look Ma! The Clampetts!

"...they loaded up the car and they moved to Beverley (Hills that is. Swimming pools and movie stars."

There is no denying that my hillbilly genes run deep. But, to me, the car below is vintage! A classic heirloom that I hope stays in our family for generations to come. The car is a 1914 KRIT. It has been in our family since before I was a gleam in my mother's eye. When my grandfather came across the car it was a heaping pile of pieces. Whatever possessed him, he bought the pieces for a song and had the car put back together.

The KRIT was manufactured in the United States in Detroit. It originally sold for $850. That was a hefty price tag for the times.

The KRIT was a part of growing up. I never thought much of it because it was always there. Now, when my kids hop in with smiles on their faces, I see the awe of it and recollect many happy memories.

Mitchman getting ready to ride...
Lukas giving it a crank...
Raring to go!

3 comments:

OneZenMom said...

Oh, I can't wait to show these pics to the minions! They are going to love them! We watch Chitty Chitty Bang Bang about once a week over here! They will want to know if it flys!!!

Anonymous said...

Gah! ... so cute! I had no idea your family had that car ~

Jen Sano said...

We will have to take you and the boys for a spin (or a rumble!) Zen!