Thursday, April 3, 2014

People Labels

Today, I was thinking about labels people place on other people. Little tags that classify that person's place in their life. For whatever reason, I thought of this, and it made me realize how immensely blessed I am. 

I don't put people in categories. People are people and my friends are my friends. As I pondered labels today I consciously realized I have an eclectic bunch of people in my life. I have friends from all walks of life and they all bring something extraordinary to the table. How much I would miss out on if I tagged people and filed them away!

I have friends of all races, religions, and lifestyles. Who am I to judge them? Why would I disregard someone because they are not a clone of me? Thank goodness they are not! What a terribly boring place this world would be. I would miss out on the goodness of human nature that encapsulates me when I am with my friends. 

My road in life has been rocky and I have completely fallen off the cliff at times. But, I get back on the path and try to do it a bit better each time. I love that I have friends on different parts of that path. I have friends that are single, newly married, divorced, parents of infants, parents of teenagers, and even grandparents. I learn (and laugh!) so much from the people in my life. I cannot fathom casting any one aside because I have tagged them with an unappealing label.

Compassion and tolerance. This world needs a lot more of both. We need to embrace all the people that have been placed in our lives. Granted some are abrasive to the touch but we need to tolerate them. We need to learn from them - even if it is learning how not to behave.

Today I am thankful for my motley crew of friends! I am thankful for the quirky and the straight-laced; the Catholic and the agnostic; those that are gay and those that are arrow straight; the humorous and the stoic. I am thankful! Thankful for friendship in its many shapes and colors!

1 comment:

julia simpson urrutia said...

You are such a sweet woman. Your perspective seeps into the air around you and, I hope, sweetens others.