Thursday, August 14, 2008

Say What?

Our oldest munchkin had a terrible time getting to sleep recently. At one point I looked at my husband and asked if he thought Mitch had been possessed? My dearest assured me that we were witnessing classic toddler behavior. Still unsure, I watched the fury unfold. We went from Mitch running from us, to jumping on the bed, to an all out temper tantrum. At one point I even tried to hold him down to stop the madness. He is a wiggly little thing so that was a wasted effort.

Finally, in an exasperated plea I ask Mitch, "Why are you behaving like this?"

He quieted down immediately and said, "Because you gave me root beer and the shoogar makes me act this way."

"WHAT?"

"It's the shoogar Mommy. It makes me crazy. And, I am pretty tired too. I should have had a nap."

What a smart boy he is! He twisted his poor behavior to reflect what was, in his opinion, my parental shortcomings of the day. As I tried to stifle a laugh, Mitch seemed done with the whole thing and peacefully went to bed.

I think I may have this parenting thing down by the time I am a great-grandmother!



No comments: